FBK-ICT (formerly called IRST) is an internationally renowned center established in 1986 for conducting research on Artificial Intelligence (AI). It was the first center in Italy fully dedicated to AI. FBK ICT is the Italian research center most recognized internationally in the field of AI.
In our thirty years of experience, we have been at the forefront of research on artificial vision, language processing, speech, machine learning, predictive models, automated planning and acting, knowledge representation, formal methods, intelligent user interfaces.
Overall goal of our research: understanding and realizing cognitive processes and constructing engineered systems that implement intelligent functions
- Integration of learning from data with knowledge-based research, both for fundamental advancements and original applications
- Integration of research areas to produce innovative artifacts
- Human interaction oriented AI (perception, communication, behavior)
- System oriented AI (planning, formal reasoning)
- Environment oriented AI (physical world, internet)
- Hundreds of highly cited and influential papers in top journals conferences, e.g., the Artificial Intelligence Journal, the Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research, the International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence – IJCAI, the AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence, the European Conference on Artificial Intelligence, and many other journals and conferences dedicated to specific topics in AI.
- Some Scientific appointments: Our Researchers have been President/Chairs, Members of the Board of Directors of the European Association for Artificial Intelligence (Eurai), Eurai and AAAI Fellows, Members of the Advisory Board and of the Senior Program Committee of the International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI), Board of Directors of the Italian Association for Artificial Intelligence (AI*IA), Program Chairs and Area Chairs of top AI conferences, e.g., IJCAI, ECAI, ICAPS, ESWC.
- Some International conferences organized in Trento: The 17th European Conference on Artificial Intelligence in 2006; The first National Italian Conference on Artificial Intelligence in 1989; the National Italian Conference on Artificial Intelligence in 2018, the 13th International Conference on Automated Planning & Scheduling in 2003, The 13th International Semantic Web Conference in 2014.
- Hundreds of European Projects involving AI research and technologies: since 2007 we won 240 European projects for 35+ Millions Euros of funds from the EU. Most recently in the H2020 programme we won 26 projects with a success rate near 20%, mostly in the pillars LEIT-ICT, SC1, SC6, SC7 and MSCA.
- Industrial projects with key international players, e.g., Boeing (Seattle) in the area of formal verification and safety analysis, eBay (San José) and Amazon (Seattle) – Machine Translation and Natural Language Processing, Google – Natural Language Processing and Emotion Analysis, SAIPEM (ENI) – Automated Planning and Scheduling, Dedagroup in the area of Data Analysis and Services for Smart Cities and Communities , GPI – Deep Learning for Health and Well Being