- PhD Student Machine Translation (HLT-MT)
I am currently a PhD candidate at the Human Language Technologies-Machine Translation (HLT-MT) group at FBK. I am working on developing novel methods for translating audiovisual content, namely on Neural Machine Translation and Speech Translation methods for subtitling and dubbing. My research interests also cover corpus-based translation studies, interpreting studies and constrained translation. I have been a co-organiser of the Workshop on Technologies for MT of Low Resource Languages (LoResMT). Previously, I was a research assistant at the Department of Language Science and Technology, Saarland University for the DFG-funded project “Modelling human translation with a noisy channel”. I am also a professional translator and post-editor. I received my MSc in Computational Linguistics from Saarland University and BAs in Translation Studies and Interpreting Studies from the Ionian University.
- Alina Karakanta, Supratik Bhattacharya, Timo Baumann, Shravan Nayak, Matteo Negri and Marco Turchi. (2020). The Two Shades of Dubbing in Neural Machine Translation. In: Proceedings of the 28th International Conference on Computational Linguistics. Barcelona, Spain (Online): International Committee on Computational Linguistics, pp. 4327–4333.
- Shravan Nayak, Timo Baumann, Supratik Bhattacharya, Alina Karakanta, Matteo Negri, Marco Turchi. (2020). See me speaking? Differentiating on whether words are spoken on screen or off to optimize machine dubbing. In Companion Publication of the 2020 International Conference on Multimodal Interaction (ICMI ’20 Companion), October 25–29, 2020, Virtual event, Netherlands. ACM, New York, NY, USA, 5 pages. https://doi.org/10.1145/3395035.3425640
- Karakanta, Alina, Matteo Negri and Marco Turchi (2020a). “Point Break: Surfing Heterogeneous Data for Subtitle Segmentation”. In: Seventh Italian Conference on Computational Linguistics, CLiC-It. Bologna, Italy
- Alina Karakanta. 2020. Subtitling in Transition: the case of TED talks. 2020. In Book of Abstracts: Translation in Transition (TT5). Kent State University. October 15-17.
- Alina Karakanta, Matteo Negri, and Marco Turchi. (2020b). Is 42 the Answer to Everything in Subtitling-oriented Speech Translation? In Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Spoken Language Translation, pages 209–219, Online, July.
- Elke Teich, Jose Martinez Martinez and Alina Karakanta. (2021). Translation, Information Theory, and Cognition. In The Routledge Handbook of Translation and Cognition. Alves, F. (Ed.), Jakobsen, A. L. (Ed.). London: Routledge, https://doi.org/10.4324/9781315178127
- Alina Karakanta, Matteo Negri and Marco Turchi. (2020c). MuST-Cinema: a Speech-to-Subtitles Corpus. In Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC 2020), Marseille, France, May 13-15 2020.
- Alina Karakanta, Atul Kr. Ojha, Chao-Hong Liu, Jade Abbott, John Ortega, Jonathan Washington, Nathaniel Oco, Surafel Melaku Lakew, Tommi A Pirinen, Valentin Malykh, Varvara Logacheva, and Xiaobing Zhao, eds. (Dec.2020). Proceedings of the 3rd Workshop on Technologies for MT of Low Resource Languages. Suzhou, China: Association for Computational Linguistics.
- Alina Karakanta, Matteo Negri, Marco Turchi. (2019). Are Subtitling Corpora Really Subtitle-like? In Proceedings of the Sixth Italian Conference on Computational Linguistics (CLiC-It), November 2019, Bari, Italy.
- Surafel M. Lakew, Alina Karakanta, Marcello Federico, Matteo Negri, Marco Turchi. (2019). Adapting Multilingual Neural Machine Translation to Unseen Languages. In Proceedings of the 16th International Workshop on Spoken Language Translation (IWSLT), November, 2019.
- Alina Karakanta, Atul Kr. Ojha, Chao-Hong Liu, Jonathan Washington, Nathaniel Oco, Surafel Melaku Lakew, Valentin Malykh, Xiaobing Zhao. Proceedings of the 2nd Workshop on Technologies for MT of Low Resource Languages. European Association for Machine Translation. Dublin, Ireland. 20 Aug. 2019.
- Alina Karakanta, Jon Dehdari, Josef van Genabith. (2018). Neural machine translation for low-resource languages without parallel corpora. Machine Translation, 1-23
- Alina Karakanta, Mihaela Vela, Elke Teich. (2018). EuroParl-UdS: Preserving and Extending Metadata in Parliamentary Debates. ParlaCLARIN: Creating and Using Parliamentary Corpora. In Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC 2018)
- Anna Currey, Alina Karakanta, Jon Dehdari. (2016). Using related languages to enhance statistical language models. In Proceedings of the NAACL Student Research Workshop, 116-123