- digital signal processing
- speech coding
- music signal processing
- multi-microphone systems
- speaker localization
- acoustic event detection
- speech enhancement
- source separation
- acoustic feature extraction
- distant-speech recognition
- deep learning
- audio and speech databases
Maurizio Omologo obtained the Degree in Electrical Engineering at University of Padova (Italy) in 1984. From 1984 to 1987, he was researcher on speech coding at CSELT (Torino, Italy). In 1988, he joined ITC-irst (now FBK-irst), where he was the head of SHINE (Speech-acoustic scene analysis and interpretation) research unit.
Currently, main research areas of interest are: microphone arrays, speaker localization, speech analysis, source separation, speech enhancement, speaker identification, acoustic event detection, ASR for distant-speech interaction, audio signal processing for music information retrieval.
From 2001 to 2014, he taught “Audio Signal Processing and Coding” at University of Trento.
He is author of about 200 papers in major international conferences and journals in the field, and of 3 international patents.
Organization of Scientific International Events
▪ Special Session Chairman of European Signal Processing Conference – EUSIPCO Conference (Kos, Greece) 2017.
▪ Technical Area Chairman of IEEE Automatic Speech Recognition and Understanding – ASRU Workshop (Scottsdale, USA) 2015.
▪ Technical Area Chairman of Analysis of Speech, Audio Signals, Speech Coding, Speech Enhancement – ISCA Interspeech Conference (Lyon, France), August 2013.
▪ Tutorial Chairman – ISCA Interspeech Conference (Florence, Italy), August 2011.
▪ Technical Area Chairman of ASR Robustness and adaptation – ISCA Interspeech Conference (Florence, Italy), August 2011.
▪ Local Chairman – IEEE Automatic Speech Recognition and Understanding – ASRU Workshop (Merano, Italy), December 2009.
▪ General CoChairman – IEEE Hands-free Speech Communication and Microphone Arrays – HSCMA Workshop (Trento, Italy), May 2008.
▪ Technical Area Chairman of Audio and Electroacoustics – European Signal Processing Conference – EUSIPCO Conference (Lausanne, Switzerland), August 2008.
▪ Demo Chairman – International Conference on Multimodal Interfaces – ICMI (Trento, Italy), October 2005.
▪ General CoChairman – IEEE Automatic Speech Recognition and Understanding – ASRU Workshop (Madonna di Campiglio, Italy), December 2001.
▪ Editorial Board Member of Acoustics, since 2017.
▪ Associate Editor of IEEE Transactions on Speech and Audio Processing, from 2003 to 2005.
▪ Guest Editor of a special Issue on Speech Processing for Natural Interaction with Intelligent Environments, IEEE Journal on Selected Topics in Signal Processing” – 2010.
▪ Editor of Language Resources and Evaluation journal – Springer – from 2012 to 2016.
▪ Member of IEEE James L. Flanagan Speech and Audio Processing Award Committee, since 2017.
▪ Elected member of IEEE SPS Speech-Language Technical Committee, from 2014 to 2016.
▪ Member of the steering committee of Associazione Italiana Scienze Vocali (AISV) from 2006 to 2009.
▪ Member of IEEE SPS Speech Technical Committee, from 2003 to 2005.